So a Girl Walks into a Comedy Club….
This is something that happened to a friend of mine in her own words.
“So, on Friday night my friend and I were at her house and wanted to get out and do something for the evening. We brainstormed ideas and she brought up the idea of seeing a show at the Laugh Factory. I’d never been, I thought it sounded fun, so we went. We saw that Dane Cook, along some other names we didn’t recognize we’re playing, and while we both agree that Cook’s style is not really our taste we were opened-minded about what the others had to offer. And we figured even good ol’ Dane can be funny sometimes, even if it’s not really our thing. Anyhoo, his act was actually fine, but then when his was done, some other guy I didn’t recognize took the stage. Of course, I would find out later this was Daniel Tosh, but at the time I thought he was just some yahoo who somehow got a gig going on after Cook. I honestly thought he was an amateur because he didn’t seem that comfortable on stage and seemed to have a really awkward presence.
So Tosh then starts making some very generalizing, declarative statements about rape jokes always being funny, how can a rape joke not be funny, rape is hilarious, etc. I don’t know why he was so repetitive about it but I felt provoked because I, for one, DON’T find them funny and never have. So I didnt appreciate Daniel Tosh (or anyone!) telling me I should find them funny. So I yelled out, “Actually, rape jokes are never funny!”
I did it because, even though being “disruptive” is against my nature, I felt that sitting there and saying nothing, or leaving quietly, would have been against my values as a person and as a woman. I don’t sit there while someone tells me how I should feel about something as profound and damaging as rape.
After I called out to him, Tosh paused for a moment. Then, he says, “Wouldn’t it be funny if that girl got raped by like, 5 guys right now? Like right now? What if a bunch of guys just raped her…” and I, completely stunned and finding it hard to process what was happening but knowing i needed to get out of there, immediately nudged my friend, who was also completely stunned, and we high-tailed it out of there. It was humiliating, of course, especially as the audience guffawed in response to Tosh, their eyes following us as we made our way out of there. I didn’t hear the rest of what he said about me.
Now in the lobby, I spoke with the girl at the will-call desk, and demanded to see the manager. The manager on duty quickly came out to speak with me, and she was profusely apologetic, and seemed genuinely sorry about what had happened, but of course we received no refund for our tickets, but instead a comped pair of tickets, although she admitted she understood if we never wanted to come back. I can imagine the Laugh Factory doesn’t really have a policy in place for what happens when a woman has to leave in a hurry because the person onstage is hurling violent words about sexual violence at her. Although maybe I’m not the first girl to have that happen to her.
I should probably add that having to basically flee while Tosh was enthusing about how hilarious it would be if I was gang-raped in that small, claustrophic room was pretty viscerally terrifying and threatening all the same, even if the actual scenario was unlikely to take place. The suggestion of it is violent enough and was meant to put me in my place.”
Please reblog and spread the word.
wow its ridiculous that people dont know how not okay it is to do this??
- cisgender-whale likes this
- thefinalmovement reblogged this from breakfastcookie and added:
- ifidareyoutomove reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- jcthafinest reblogged this from love-is-king
- love-is-king reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- bellenos likes this
- pizzaphilia likes this
- 171gifer likes this
- fishnetchickadee likes this
- askmongoloid reblogged this from mrplinkett and added:
- askmongoloid likes this
- tearsbehind-thesmile likes this
- tearsbehind-thesmile reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- theplanetnotthecity likes this
- hidingunderapapermoon reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- redarticleblog likes this
- didon reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- does-my-awesome-scare-you reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- does-my-awesome-scare-you likes this
- set-th3-music-free reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- alliswellwithme reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- dysfuncti0nal-d0ll likes this
- theragamuffinqueen likes this
- thehobbitwithstickyuppyhair reblogged this from sirikenobi167 and added:
- sirikenobi167 reblogged this from breakfastcookie and added:
- sirikenobi167 likes this
- hunchaelin likes this
- mooncinders reblogged this from breakfastcookie and added:
- sydneycrush likes this
- sydneycrush reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- magpants likes this
- smileytechie likes this
- velocirapscallion reblogged this from breakfastcookie and added:
- lude7ina reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- youbethebookillbethebinding reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- natashabaghdasarian reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- tombruise reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- whosthatgirlinpleather likes this
- sigyn-goddess-of-constancy likes this
- yamino-hikari likes this
- potentially-awkward reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- fireprincesslily reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- master-of-the-midnight-yard reblogged this from aquabreeze
- chicagousait likes this
- tbhilymariska reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- tbhilymariska likes this
- splendidcolor reblogged this from breakfastcookie
- that-nowhere-girl likes this
- lovely-writer369 reblogged this from breakfastcookie